Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words. St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Where I'm from



I am from a sketch book and Barbie dolls with their hair cut off, Chrysler automobiles and the Lawrence Welk show, and from Saturday morning cartoons that sang "Conjunction Junction, what's your function...".

I am from the house on the corner, with ghosts in the attic and the basket ball court,  from Saturday night Hide n Seek at the top of the hill, and the little neighborhood store with the soda fountain and penny candy.

I am from the big maples we used to climb, the cold ocean waters, too cold to swim in, and from shoulder high snow banks perfect for making forts, and from the pine trees in the deep woods and tall mountains.

I am from Sunday trips to my grandparents who lived next door to each other and a family that loves sweets, from Alma the fudge maker and Aurore the pie maker and my loving Aunt Jackie who loves me despite me.

I am from the french that was spoken when parents didn't want the kids to know and from the love of a family party, and from a tendency towards perfectionism.

From "go outside and play" and "get up, it's time for school!"

I am from the stained glass of a Catholic church, where we attended faithfully every Sunday and every Catholic holiday; and from where I began to question what faith was and who God was and wondered "just what am I supposed to say when I pray?"

I'm from the city in a rural state, where French abounds, and where Canadian cheese and crepes were our favorites treats. 

From watching my Pepere clean fish at the family camp, having my cousin hit the horse I was on with a switch...and having the saddle not be sinched tight enough to not slip....and the time my aunt hurt her ankle when the whole family decided to ride the toboggan down the hill.  

I am from the family ancestry that my father researched tracing our lineage all the way back to France, and the words to the Canadian National Anthem written by my distant relative, from the photos in my grandmothers many photo albums, and the antique bedroom set and Grammie's old china service.



Thanks to Erin for posting her own "Where I'm from" and for sharing the link to the template.  You can find the template here; please share with us "Where you are from!"

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, Sue! I love this. It sounds perfectly wonderful except for the ghosts (unless they were friendly)! I feel like I got a little peek inside you! And I love where you come from!
    Blessings,
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete